- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - Pulmonary Med - W710075
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 47
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Oct. 16, 2023
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Department Chair or designee, the Research Operations Manager is responsible for managing all laboratory operations within a large and complex Department. The Research Operations Manager will ensure that all research lab financial, human, and physical resources are used effect ively, efficiently, and is accountable to achieve related strategic goals of the department and organization.
- Manage shared laboratory resources within the Department to ensure that economies of scale are utilized when planning for department wide laboratory and equipment maintenance and replacement.
- Coordinate the financial, human, and physical resources of all Principal Investigators to ensure the most efficient and effective use of the department budget and other resources
- Identify opportunities for cost savings to the department. Develop programs to streamline efficiencies throughout the department.
- Negotiate with vendors and purchase all laboratory capital equipment for the department. Collaborate with Purchasing when required
- Responsible for physical inventory of all laboratory equipment. Maintain records of all equipment acquired, moved off-site, and/or discarded
- Consult with multiple research faculty on best methods, equipment and space usage for their individual laboratory operations. Identify opportunities for shared resources for faculty within and outside the department
- Responsible to be the main point of contact with Facilities, internally manage all department laboratories facility alteration, and set up and break down laboratories for new and departing faculty.
- Schedule, evaluate, discipline, hire, terminate, and maximize the output and performance of shared laboratory research assistants.
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators in use of departmental resources
- Develop, implement, and evaluate standard operating procedures for personnel using shared laboratory resources.
- Work with Environmental Health and Safety, and Radiation Safety to ensure department facilities and laboratories are in compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations
- Serve on Institutional committees established to improve school operations and system implementations
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelors degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 6 years of relevant research and facility maintenance experience
- 3 years of experience in the supervision of staff and project management of large scale research projects
- Budget management experience preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve problems.
Under the general direction of the Department Chair or designee
Supervise Laboratory Assistants and other shared staff as required
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
UMass Chan Medical School was among 23 companies that stood out as 2023 “DEI champions,” according to The Boston Globe.
“2023 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research