- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Biochemistry & Molecular Pharm - W404000
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 46
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: July 17, 2021
Under the general direction of the principal investigator and facility director, the Senior Research Scientist performs a variety of complex research experiments for research projects mainly using Cryo-electron microscopy and Cryo-electron tomography. Supervises and provides services to cryo-EM academic users and industry customers.
- Design and implement research projects in the facility laboratory.
- Stay current with the literature and regularly leads discussions of new reports pertinent to ongoing and proposed projects.
- Design and implement experiments to further ongoing research projects, in consultation with the principal investigator.
- Responsible for data acquisition, data analysis, and presentation of research results.
- Organize and analyze data acquired in the course of research projects.
- Specific expertise in the cryoEM is required including preparing cryoEM grids in variers conditions using manual and automated cryo plunger freezers.
- Train and supervise junior facility personnel and CryoEM users and customers, ensuring them are trained in current methodology and safety procedures in the laboratory.
- Participate regularly in laboratory meetings.
- Navigate and train the diverse personalities that make up our dynamic facility environment.
- Provide support for under-represented minorities scholars.
- Ensure researchers in the laboratory are aware of the experimental nuances and potential risks of their experiments – that they are using the optimal approach to obtain quality data.
- Lead and coordinate the general operation of the laboratory, in consultant with facility manager.
- Perform routine maintenance to cryo-electron microscopy instruments to ensure they are in excellent operating conditions.
- Interface with CryoEM academic users and industry customers, provide advice for experimental strategies of sample preparation and data acquisition.
- Acquire high-resolution data for customers when needed and monitor data collection quality and efficiency throughout the session.
- Analyze CryoEM structural data for customer when needed.
- Provide service report to external customers for the sample characterization services.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Biological Science, or equivalent degree
- 7 years of research experience.
- PhD in a Biological Science preferred with 5 years of research experience.
- Familiarity with high-end cryo-electron microscopes and director electron detectors.
- Expertise in imaging processing for both single particle and cryo-ET applications.
- Familiarity with Linux operating system.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work off-hours occasionally.
Experience with Cryo-FIB instrument and procedure of making cryo lamella.
HR Daily Blog
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with University of Massachusetts Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMMS Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMMS by following us on Twitter.
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research