- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Administrative Professional
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - Grad School of Nursing Admin - W419100
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 43
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Oct. 3, 2023
The Assistant Director for Student Recruitment, Equity & Success is a full-time, masters prepared higher education practitioner within student affairs and/or graduate admissions that will serve as a member of the professional staff of the Tan Chingfen Graduate School of Nursing Office of Student Affairs & Admissions. Responsible for assisting in the identification, recruitment, and enrollment of new students, overseeing the graduate and continuing education communication and enrollment marketing plan, and cultivating relationships externally, in addition to creating an environment that bolsters student success, persistence and retention. This position reports to the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs & Enrollment Management and will support the graduate student lifecycle in the following areas:
- Assists in establishing a student-centered, goal-oriented culture within the Tan Chingfen Graduate School of Nursing
- Assists in developing, implementing, and assessing successful enrollment marketing, recruitment, and admission strategies and processes to ensure new graduate student and continuing education enrollment goals are met.
- Responsible for employing research and analytical measures to ensure the above
Recruitment – 60%
- Focused, specialized recruitment for all programs within the graduate school of nursing
- Responsible for on and off-campus recruitment activities that attract prospective students, converting prospects into applicants and yielding enrolled students.
- Serve as main point of contact for admissions inquiries.
- Develop a robust Campus Tour program.
- Provide timely follow-up with prospects, inquiries and in-progress applicants offering support as they navigate the application process.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate targeted recruitment and outreach efforts.
- Maintain records of recruitment initiatives and applicant correspondence per department guidelines
- Engage in travel to recruit graduate students via webinars, on-campus and off-campus events and conferences.
- Support the development of enrollment marketing materials and enrollment marketing functions.
- Prepare annual Cost of Attendance and other pertinent admissions enrollment information.
- Coordinate annual recruitment & retention initiatives, such as:
- Annual Nursing Expo
- New Student On-Boarding Events (e.g., Admitted Students Day, Orientation, etc…)
- Faculty Meet n Greets & educational sessions for admitted students.
- Pipeline Events with partner institutions
- Recruitment events, open houses, and other large-scale recruitment events
- Host office Hours, tours, and information sessions for prospective applicants
Student Equity, Success, Retention and Persistence - 30%
- Provide focused attention to student groups previously determined to be “at risk”, such as underrepresented in nursing students, first-generation students, students deemed economically disadvantaged, and students requiring a leave of absence, among others
- Implement strategically designed academic development activities and retention initiatives for nursing students
- Promote equity, inclusion and retention through coordinating student-centric resources and developing programming that encourages community building, academic success, retention, and degree attainment
- Oversee the academic advising and registration process; Tracks students on, and returns from, Leave of Absence
- Support Orientation and effectively plan new-student on-boarding initiatives
- Advise self-referred or faculty-referred students needing situational, educational or crisis support
- Serve as a student advocate, mentor, and success coach
- Support and manage critical Enrollment Management functions that support student success
- Co-Advise the Graduate Student Nursing Organization and the Nurses for Equity & Justice Coalition
- Co-lead Commencement activities, events and provide ceremony support on day of graduation
Assessment & Administration– 10%
- Ensure graduate and continuing education reports, dashboards, and communication plans are current and effective, and that the applicant/student experience is consistent throughout the student lifecycle.
- Monitor and track effectiveness of recruitment efforts; utilize data to make informed decisions for future recruitment goals.
- Benchmark competitor programs and evaluate the effectiveness of admissions recruitment efforts.
- Monitors student persistence and retention outcomes from matriculation to graduation
- Prepare Admissions Office reports and statistics, Track rates of attrition.
- Contribute to day-to-day office management and departmental responsibilities.
- Complete special projects as assigned that support student success.
- Serve on UMass Chan committees.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff and students.
- Perform other related duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Masters degree, 3+ years of professional work experience in Student Affairs, Admissions, or a related field. Effective interpersonal communication, analytical and organizational skills, a highly professional demeanor, and the ability to attend to minute details and the bigger picture are necessary. The incumbent must be able to multi-task and meet deadlines that are subject to frequent change, working well both independently and with direction.
- Knowledge of current student development theory and research
- Proven ability to work with and support a culturally diverse populations of learners.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Ability to work under pressure while balancing multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to understand the various requirements of licensure for various nursing programs.
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Experience with best practices in graduate enrollment management: retention, transfer and transition, and innovative academic interventions resulting in student success.
- Proven history in working one to one or in groups with students using an interpersonal approach that builds trust and epitomizes a caring, confidential, inclusive, and supportive approach to needs assessment, resource utilization and problem-solving.
- Established skills in building relationships that strategically and effectively serve nursing students, particularly those at-risk for academic challenges.
- Ability to use a student-centered, “growth mind-set” approach to student advising and development.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing learning interventions.
- Familiarity with the academic, socioeconomic, wellness and engagement challenges facing graduate nursing students.
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced, changing work environment.
- Fluency with multiple technologies for offering support to distance students, such as Slate, PeopleSoft, Maxient, DocuSign, SharePoint, DocuSign, Blackboard, Canvas, Office 365
- This position requires some evening and weekend hours in support of unit operations and ceremonial events.
UMass Chan Medical School was among 23 companies that stood out as 2023 “DEI champions,” according to The Boston Globe.
“2023 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research