- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Administrative Professional
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - Communications - W400300
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 50
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Sept. 18, 2023
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Vice Chancellor of Communications, the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Marketing (AVC Marketing) is a senior member of the staff responsible for supporting the overall success of the Office while envisioning, identifying, developing and executing creative and appropriate marketing activities, strategies and partnerships that increase awareness of and visibility for UMass Chan Medical School. This newly created position follows the September 2021 announcement of a $175 million philanthropic gift that renamed our institution and three graduate schools and the September 2023 launch of the Medical Schools new brand, Advancing Together. With these new opportunities in mind, the AVC Marketing will serve as the institutional marketing leader charged with advancing UMass Chans brand identity regionally and nationally among key audiences including, but not limited to, thought leaders in the academic health sciences and prospective applicants. In supervising a team of marketing professionals, the AVC Marketing will execute an annual strategic marketing plan with defined and measurable results that keeps UMass Chan in the public eye; supports executive leadership; supports the recruitment of outstanding students, faculty and staff; and builds lasting connections with important audiences in support of institutional priorities and goals.
- Manage strategic planning and implementation of institutional marketing programs, conceptualizing approaches to establish and grow the new UMass Chan Medical School brand identity.
- Effectively manage, mentor and inspire staff responsible for generating timely, original, engaging marketing materials and content that highlight the world-class research, education, health care and public service missions at UMass Chan, with a daily focus on raising the profile, awareness of, and affinity for the institution.
- Serve as an engaged deputy to the Vice Chancellor for Communications. Actively collaborate with the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Content on Office of Communications priorities and in overseeing the day-to-day work of the Office of Communications.
- Oversee enrollment marketing for UMass Chans three graduate schools – the T.H. Chan School of Medicine, the Morningside Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and the Tan Chingfen Graduate School of Nursing - to ensure high caliber results, alignment with overall institutional marketing strategy, brand standards and the recruitment of highly-qualified and diverse students.
- Anticipate, develop and employ key paid and unpaid marketing opportunities and messages to promote the excellence of UMass Chan, including the release of select annual rankings.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the Office of Communications and across the organization to manage the process of developing and delivering a rich variety of marketing products that benefit philanthropy, government affairs, talent recruitment and other areas.
- Nurture relationships with marketing leads at UMass Chan teaching affiliates, including UMass Memorial Medical Center, Lahey Hospital & Medical Center and Baystate Health, with a goal to extend the UMass Chan brand into their institutional materials and websites, where possible.
- Manage an annual marketing budget. Manage a marketing calendar for the Office of Communications using the appropriate project management platform.
- Working proactively and collaboratively with all Office of Communications staff, manage and edit marketing content; identify and supervise any marketing consultants or vendors to ensure that work product meets UMass Chan standards.
- Support Office of Communications special projects, the Office of the Chancellor and institutional imperatives through writing and other tasks, as required.
- Stay up to date on marketing and branding strategies and trends to give UMass Chan a leg-up over the competition.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Serve on committees as assigned and advise stakeholders across the UMass Chan organization on marketing-related matters, as needed.
- Follow University policies.
- Perform other duties, as required.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations; some off-hours and weekend duties.
- Bachelors degree in English, journalism, marketing or related field, or equivalent
- 15+ years of experience in higher education public relations or marketing, health care public relations or related setting with responsibility for supervisory and managerial oversight. Must demonstrate a positive, solutions-oriented approach to work responsibilities. Must demonstrate exceptional strategic communications, planning, writing and editing skills.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and organizations skills
- Ability to analyze materials and extract key messages and to oversee delivery of key messages with an understanding of impact
- Appreciation for how marketing and communications/news content complement each other and integrate to form a cohesive and effective overall strategy
- Proven can-do attitude and ability to work with senior managers to strategize solutions to marketing and communications-related challenges or issues
- Basic knowledge of graphic arts, Office Applications software
UMass Chan Medical School was among 23 companies that stood out as 2023 “DEI champions,” according to The Boston Globe.
“2023 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research