- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Administrative Professional
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - Environmental Hlth & Safety - W800800
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 41
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Sept. 25, 2023
Under the supervision and direction of the Manager or designee, this Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Specialist I position provides support to the Environmental Health & Safety Department's pre-established safety programs. The EH&S Specialist I will work independently to prioritize multiple projects. These tasks will require the employee to work at multiple locations serviced by the UMass Medical School (UMMS) Environmental Health & Safety Department, including UMass Medical School (UMMS) and UMass Memorial Medical Center (UMMMC).
In this position, the incumbent may interact with all levels of management and diverse employee and student populations and cultures to accomplish identified goals and objectives and is expected to maintain a respectful and professional demeanor and to resolve any unplanned opportunities that arise.
The incumbent may be assigned to a specific discipline within Environmental Health & Safety but will also be expected to perform duties from the other disciplines. They must have the ability to self-learn with some education and/or applied knowledge and experience with health and safety regulations, federal and state regulations in the selected disciplines within Env. Health & Safety, such as; EPA, DOT, OSHA (General Industry & Construction), DHS, NIH, CDC, NIOSH, MADOLS, MADPH, MADEP, TJC, NRC, NFPA, FEMA, MEMA, DEA.
Discipline in Biosafety/Select Agent: Demonstrated knowledge or experience of bloodborne pathogens, recombinant or synthetic nucleic acids, biological agents, shipping and import/transport permits, biohazardous materials and medical waste, accident/incident investigations, reporting and record keeping, risk assessments, support and recordkeeping for Biological Safety Level 1 – 3 laboratories. Able to undergo and receive approval for access to select agents: a Security Risk Assessment by the Criminal Justice Informational System to obtain FBI/CDC clearance, and an internal Suitability Assessment.
Conduct Compliance Inspections, Assessments, Investigations, Audits or Surveys
- Conduct inspections and audits of labs, patient care and general areas, construction areas
- Assists with risk assessments and incident investigations
- Perform evaluations and surveillance surveys
- Support the creation and preparation of checklists for compliance inspections
- Assist in identifying potential risks
- Conduct inventory of safety supplies and par levels
- Approve chemical purchases in purchasing software
- Begin to operationally manage portions of as established program(s)
Collect Samples, Monitoring Badges or Hazardous Waste
- Collect airborne, surface and personal exposure samples using monitoring equipment or badges
- Collect and handle ionizing, hazardous and non-hazardous wastes from designated collection areas
- Assist with proper segregation and labeling of waste or samples.
- Transport hazardous waste to main storage rooms
- Assist with preparing hazardous waste for disposal
Respond to Urgent/Emergent Call
- Assist with, and/or independently respond to, urgent/emergent calls, questions or requests of lower acuity incidents
- Participate on the EH&S Emergency Response Team (will require wearing full face respirator)
- Triage the issue, report back to supervisor, provide suggested response/follow-up to supervisor, and apply appropriate follow-up
- Participate in the EH&S nights, weekends, holiday and off-hours on-call program
Interact with Regulatory Auditors, Inspectors and Surveyors
- Assist with data collection and investigation of regulatory concern
- Assist with conducting spot audits prior to or during surveyors arrival
Test, Maintain, or Perform Inspection of Safety Equipment
- Test, calibrate and maintain safety equipment based on schedule
- Perform testing of chemical fume hoods, emergency showers, eyewashes, biosafety cabinets, or arrange for a vendor to do the testing
- Perform respiratory fit testing
Data Entry, Report Writing, or Perform Literature Searches
- File and maintain records and documentation (i.e. training records, waste manifests, SDS, safety, equipment, certifications, inspection reports)
- Enter data or information into EH&S software applications, databases or filings
- Maintain inventories (i.e., chemical, SDS, wastes, biologicals, isotopes)
- Write draft incident review reports, incident action plans, and after-action reports
- Create hazard warning or informational signage, postings, posters, pamphlets or booklets
- Perform searches of regulations and literature for compliance guidance
- Satisfactorily manage and report status of assignments, tasks, responsibilities, and multiple elements of complex programs.
- Draft or update programmatic standard operating procedures
- Review data and provide solutions to supervisor
- Train hospital and/or school staff or students on forms of respirator protection during fit testing
- Assist with providing vendor or contractor safety training
- Assist with providing responses to questions regarding EH&S' on-line training applications or providing access codes
- Provide basic program or compliance guidance in the field
- Conduct Hospital orientation
- Assist with onboarding EH&S new hires
Perform Drills and Exercises
- Assist with conducting drills (i.e., fire drills, building evacuation drills, code pink drills)
- Assist with conducting exercises (i.e., table tops or simulated scenarios)
- The employee will also be required to perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors Level Degree, or equivalent experience, in: Safety, Environmental Science/Engineering, Natural Sciences, Fire Safety, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Health and Safety, Emergency Management, Radiation Sciences, Health Physics, Physics, Biotechnology, Microbiology or a related degree dependent upon discipline applying for.
- Zero to two years of working experience in Safety, Environmental Science/Engineering, Natural Sciences, Fire Safety, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Health and Safety, Emergency Management, Radiation Sciences, Health Physics, Physics, Biotechnology, Microbiology or a related field dependent upon discipline applying for.
- Basic knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to selected disciplines within Env. Health & Safety, such as; EPA, DOT, OSHA, TJC, NIH, CDC, NIOSH, MADPH, MADEP, MADPH, NRC, NFPA, FEMA, MEMA
- Ability to become certified as OSHA 40-hour Hazwoper Emergency Responder and wear a full-face respirator within 6 months of employment
- Ability to become certified by DOT for manifest signing within 6 months of employment
- Some skill with Microsoft Office software and database applications
- Ability to adapt to and learn various computer-based systems and programs
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to satisfactorily manage and report status of assignments, tasks, responsibilities, and multiple elements of complex programs.
- Must have a valid drivers license and a vehicle or the ability to travel to off-site locations and respond to matters of urgency
Internship in Safety, Environmental Science, Natural Sciences, Fire Safety, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Health and Safety, Emergency Management, Radiation Sciences, or Health Physics depending upon the selected discipline within Env. Health & Safety applied for.
UMass Chan Medical School was among 23 companies that stood out as 2023 “DEI champions,” according to The Boston Globe.
“2023 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research