- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Maintenance and Facilities
Location: Worcester, MA
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non Exempt
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - Power Plant-Operations - W843010
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 22
Union Code: Union Position-W20-AFSCME Trades and Building Svc
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Dec. 6, 2023
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general supervision of the Director or designee, the Operational Co-Generation Engineer I operates the boilers, turbine generators, turbo-motor compressors and all related auxiliaries of the Co-Generation Facility.
- Responsible for the production of steam, power, electrical power and refrigeration
- Perform repairs to mechanical, electrical and distribution systems
- Operates all high pressure steam boilers with super-heaters, economizes and auxiliary equipment.
- Operates all steam turbine generators, condensers, condensing water pumps and other related auxiliaries, synchronizing the generators when necessary, synchronizing Mass Electrics cables with the generator when necessary. Logs observations. Performs minor electrical functions (changes fuses, bulbs, checks circuit breakers) etc.
- Observes power demand and consumption making required adjustments for power factor correction, frequency and voltage.
- Operates four (4) electrical power systems, namely, the Uninterrupted Power System (UPS), normal 13,800 volts power distribution system from the utility company and the Emergency Power System from the standby diesel generator.
- Operates all centrifugal compressors, motors, condensing steam turbine-driven, condensing water pumps and other related auxiliaries. Logs observations.
- Operates a large cooling tower and fans serving the turbine and refrigeration systems.
- Performs preventive maintenance, cleaning and repair of all power plant equipment and instrumentation.
- Ability to take readings on all Power Plant Equipment.
- While in the performance of routine duties; may be required, as needed to perform all work associated with all maintenance trades of an equal or lower graded classification; where the work or task does not require a specific license.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must hold a Massachusetts Third Class or higher grade Stationary Engineers License.
- 1-2 years experience in modern power plant.
- Possess the theory and application of good safety practices around high pressure, high voltage systems (13,800 volts), and rotating equipment.
- Possess the theory, application, and experience in the operation and maintenance of refrigeration and condensing steam turbine-driven centrifugal, compressors, evaporators, condensers, and related equipment.
- Possess theory, application and experience in the operation of large condensing, extracting steam turbo-electric generating equipment, and related auxiliaries.
- Possess the theory, application and experience of large high pressure boilers equipped with super heaters, economizers dual fuel systems, pneumatic combustion controls and flame scanners.
- Ability to work rotating shifts.
UMass Chan Medical School was among 23 companies that stood out as 2023 “DEI champions,” according to The Boston Globe.
“2023 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research