- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - HR-Administration - W860000
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: S1
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: May 5, 2023
UMass Chan Medical School, located in Worcester, MA seeks nominations and applications for the position of Associate Vice Chancellor for People Strategies
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Vice Chancellor People Strategy, this position serves as the head of talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, and employee/labor relations. The Associate Vice Chancellor, People Strategies will be a key member of the human resources leadership team and responsible for creating and maintaining a high performing organization with a culture of customer service, continuous process improvement and collaboration. Ensures that the compensation and total rewards programs align with and support organizational strategies; responsible for attracting and hiring a diverse pool of top-tier talent, leads the employee and labor relations team including employee performance issues, investigations, conflict resolution and collective bargaining for 6 labor units. Ensures that HR policies and practices related to the areas managed are best-in-class and compliant with federal and state requirements. The incumbent serves as a key strategic member of the HR leadership team; inspiring, coaching and mentoring HR professionals and other members of the UMass Chan community with the goal of positioning UMass Chan as an employer-of-choice recognized for attracting and retaining talent and embracing diversity and inclusion as a primary building block of our culture.
This position serves as the deputy to the Chief People Strategy Officer, and authorized to act as substitute for the CPSO.
HR Leadership – As a member of the human resources leadership team:
- Collaborate with HR and UMass Chan leadership in the development of annual and long-range strategic plans with respect to talent acquisition, compensation and total rewards, and employee/labor relations.
- Works collaboratively with UMass Chan campus academic and finance & administrative leadership, other UMass campus HR leaders and external audit agencies as needed.
- This position has primary accountability for the campuss applicant tracking system, and for determining any modifications to the system, integration with other systems, or acquisition of new applicant systems. The position is accountable for all systems related to the establishment of salary structures and guidance, including MarketPay, as well as systems/tools related to employee relations and leave management.
- Ensures that all campus talent acquisition, compensation, benefits and employee/labor relations policies follow state and federal guidelines and are in alignment with the mission and vision of UMass Chan.
- Encourages and supports diverse views and approaches, creating an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all faculty, staff and HR customers.
- Produces relevant HR metrics for the areas managed; interprets the results and synthesizes into business-relevant summaries for UMass Chan leadership and other stakeholders.
- Develops budget requests for the HR areas managed and monitors spending activities to assure budget goals are met.
- Leads and participates in HR effectiveness and process initiatives and the annual HR strategic/operational goals development process.
Compensation & Benefits (Total Rewards)
In addition to setting goals for and managing the daily activities of the compensation team, this position has oversight for:
- The development, implementation and administration of the UMass Chan compensation/total rewards strategy to support the mission, objectives and strategic needs of UMass Chan.
- Evolving compensation programs that attract, reward, and retain key talent in the organization.
- Leading and collaborating with UMass Chan leadership and HR colleagues to develop and implement a Pay for Contribution/Pay for Performance program that aligns pay with the achievement of organizational, department and individual goals.
- Providing strategic oversight of compensation programs and processes including job architecture, salary structures and pay adjustment cycles to strategically acquire, retain and develop employees.
- Ensuring a robust compensation program design and market-based analysis that supports both external benchmarking and internal equity across the company.
- Providing leadership to the compensation analysis process for evaluating positions for internal equity and market competitiveness, reviewing nonexempt and exempt positions to determine appropriate grade and salary levels, conducting salary surveys and data analysis to determine UMass Chan market competitiveness.
- Providing market information and consultation to the Labor Relations team to assist with bargaining.
- Ensuring clear and compelling job descriptions are crafted to support talent acquisition strategies, and attract and retain top talent.
- Presents recommendations to senior leadership on strategies for optimal use of available salary adjustment budgets, including addressing key issues such as MEPA (Massachusetts Equal Pay Act), equity, salary compression and pay for performance.
- Makes recommendations regarding UMass Chan executive incentive compensation programs.
In addition to setting goals for and managing the daily activities of the benefits team, this position has oversight for:
- Coordination of the GIC (Group Insurance Commission) and MSERS (Massachusetts State Employees Retirement System) plans, Optional Retirement Program (ORP), health, dental, vision, life, LTD and STD plans.
- The administration of the enhanced benefit package for faculty and executives.
- Benefits communications regarding benefit open enrollments and other programs.
Employee & Labor Relations
In addition to setting goals for and managing the daily activities of the employee/labor relations and leave management team, this position has oversight for:
- Ensuring that best-in-class employee relations practices, policies, and procedures are used to resolve ER issues.
- Ensuring that the ER/LR group provides strategic and consultative assistance to UMass Chan leaders and managers to assist them in meeting their business and organizational goals and objectives regarding employee relations.
- Working with ER/LR leadership to develop and recommend UMass Chan labor strategies that support the mission and vision of UMass Chan; oversees contract negotiations and contract interpretation, administration and arbitrations.
- Provides mediation and conflict resolution services, coordinates employee investigations, recommends appropriate corrective actions, oversees the employee discipline and termination process and develops, implements and interprets HR policies and procedures related to employee/labor relations.
- Oversees the grievance process for both union and non-unit employees.
- Oversees the administration of UMass Chan leave programs to include FMLA, PFMLA, and other forms of Leave of Absence.
In addition to setting goals for and managing the daily activities of the talent acquisition team, this position has oversight for:
- Ensuring the development, implementation and delivery of effective talent acquisition strategies and tactics to source and attract top tier talent needed to support and grow the UMass Chan enterprise, including forHealth Consulting and MassBiologics.
- Collaborating with UMass Chan leaders to understand, analyze, and support future workforce and talent acquisition needs by creating, developing, and implementing workforce plans and refining hiring capabilities.
- Supporting the University to build a network of potential candidates and top performers through proactive market research and ongoing relationship management.
- Working with unit leaders on innovative solutions to source talent, including the development of talent pipelines.
- Ensuring that HR works in collaboration with the DIO and Communications offices to maintain robust diversity and inclusion hiring and employer-of-choice branding programs.
- Creating and delivering an extraordinary candidate experience for UMass Chan applicants.
- Building strong, credible relationships with UMass Chan leaders, hiring managers, critical stakeholders and partners as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert on talent acquisition strategies and tactics.
- Use key sourcing / recruiting metrics to measure the Talent teams effectiveness and provide data-driven, actionable insights and next steps.
Performs other duties as assigned within the scope of the areas managed by this role.
- A Bachelors degree in a related field is required;
- Substantial progressive responsibility in the field of Human Resources, with proven success in talent acquisition, total rewards, HR management, HR policy compliance within a large, matrixed organization.
- Relevant experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for evaluating candidates and making hiring determinations, determining assignments, providing training, setting goals, planning and evaluating performance, esablishing work hours and approving leave, and initiative corrective or disciplinary actions of employees managed.
- Relevant experience working in management with bargaining units.
- Experience working in a PeopleSoft (or similarly complex) HR systems enviornment.
- Excellent leadership, management, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to motivate, engage and support a large HR team.
- Must be a diversity champion who is culturally aware and is able to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Results-oriented with demonstrated ability to self-motivate and to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability working in a fast-paced environment maximizing the use of technology to drive efficiencies.
- A strong customer and continuous improvement focus including proactively seeking opportunities to develop and improve operations and customer service.
- Experience as a change agent possessing a strategic and systems mindset.
- Must exercise good judgment and establish and maintain good working relationships with all UMass Chan stakeholders.
- Outstanding communicator, both in writing and verbally; excellent presentation skills.
- Understanding of and experience in a complex organizational culture with multiple strategic business units.
- Team player oriented to coaching, mentoring and collaborative problem solving.
- Masters Degree in Human Resources Management, Administration or related area is preferred.
- World At Work Certification and CEBS certification preferred.
- SHRM Certifiation such as SHRM-CP, SCHRM-SCP, HRCI or similar qualification.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Application materials should include a letter describing interest in and qualifications for the position in relation to the attributes described above along with a résumé.
This position is on-site at the UMass Chan campus facility a minimum of three (3) days per week; there is the opportunity to work one or two days per week remotely, as approved.
All nominations and applications should be sent in confidence to: UMassChanAVCPeopleStrategies@storbecksearch.com
Each year UMass Chan Medical School comes together to demonstrate care and compassion. Learn more about the UMass Chan Cares campaign.
UMass Chan and Partners launch New England Nursing Clinical Faculty and Preceptor Academy Goal of new initiative is to ‘build capacity’ for nurse preceptors to address nursing shortage. Learn more about the initiative.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research