- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - Molecular Cell & Cancer Biology - W495000
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 42
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Jan. 12, 2024
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Castilla Lab. Our laboratory studies the formation of blood cancers, such as leukemias, and how to use these discoveries to design novel therapies. We combine genomic, pharmacology and functional approaches in animal models and patient samples to define key cellular pathways that govern leukemia stem cell survival a drug resistance. We have used a variety of molecular techniques, including CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing, RNA-sequencing and single cell RNA sequencing, ChIP-seq, CUT&RUN, 5C, and ATAC-seq, to define key drivers of cancer progression. For example, we have used these techniques to demonstrate that expression of the MYC master oncogene can be regulated by the leukemia oncoprotein CBFb-SMMHC by coopting regulation of the myeloid MYC distal enhancer in blood stem cells. To translate these findings to novel therapies, we have characterized candidate targeted therapies for CBFb-SMMHC leukemia, some of which are in preclinical studies. We continue collaborating with a multidisciplinary research group to improve the “druggability” of these inhibitors in animal models and cells, and bring the new drugs to the clinic. We are looking for motivated and dependable candidates with background in biology and chemistry fields who can learn new protocols and work with our team to discover new cancer pathways and develop new targeted therapies to treat or prevent cancer.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments
- Conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Compile and analyze data. Perform computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelors degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 3 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
UMass Chan Medical School was among 23 companies that stood out as 2023 “DEI champions,” according to The Boston Globe.
“2023 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research