- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non Exempt
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Admissions - W411000
Job Type: Intern (Full Time)
Union Code: Non Union Position-W00-Non Benefited
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: May 25, 2022
**IMPORTANT: Your application will not be considered without an essay**
Complete the online application and include a short essay either in the "resume" field (the resume and essay should be uploaded as one document) or uploaded as a cover letter on your profile. Essay topic is listed below (Please include within your essay, examples from personal experience, observation, research, and or scholarship. The essay should be succinct and be your original work. It should also reflect an excellent command of English grammar, style and syntax. Maximum length 200 words.):
Please write a short essay on ONE of these three topics:
- What does it mean to you to be effective in an environment that values diversity, equity and inclusion?
- In what ways has diversity, equity and inclusion shown up in your commitment to service at the national, regional, local, and/or institutional levels?
- In what ways have you integrated diversity, equity and inclusion as part of your professional and personal development? And how have these engagements informed your approach to being a better scholar and professional?
This internship program will begin Monday June 6th and will end Friday, August 12th. The pay is $16/hour and the position is expected to be full-time over those 10 weeks. This will be an onsite internship.
About Emerging Professionals Summer Internship Program (EPSIP) at UMass Chan Medical School
The Emerging Professionals Summer Internship Program (EPSIP) is a paid internship experience for talented college students. Individuals historically underrepresented in STEM, health science and medicine are strongly encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to students that identify from one of the following underrepresented groups in STEM, health science and medicine: Black/African Americans, Hispanic or Latinx, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, and other Pacific Islanders, individuals with a disability or the first in their family to attend college, are also strongly encourage to apply.
Participants in the EPSIP program benefit from:
- a 10 week, paid summer business internship at UMMS with an administrative focus
- a unique opportunity to be guided and mentored for the world of business in academic medicine
- professional development series of lectures, networking, mentoring, resume and job search preparation, and more
- an opportunity to discover their passions and interests and discern which career path is best for you
General Summary of Position
Under general supervision of the Director of designee, the Admissions Intern performs a variety of duties in support of the Office of Admissions. The Admissions Intern will be responsible for supporting summer programs, admissions processes, and support of admissions staff. The intern will be exposed to opportunities in higher education that support diversity initiatives, recruitment of prospective applicants, and support students.
- Assists in logistics coordination for summer programs (e.g. Summer Enrichment Program, BaccMD Summer Clinical Immersion Experience, Scribe Fellowship Program)
- Dispenses pertinent information and direction to students, staff, and visitors
- Establishes, maintains, and ensures proper use of confidential files, which may include student records
- Performs a wide variety of work, including scheduling, database management, word processing, proofreading, filing, recording information, administering tests, and updating website
- Compiles, develops, and designs reports, handbooks, newsletters, and special projects from a variety of sources
- Assists with participant and programs evaluations
- Candidates pursuing bachelor’s degree or recent graduates
- Related experience preferred
- Must be reliable and able to set consistent work hours
- Ability to use standard office tools and software (MS-Office)
- Perform a variety of administrative work involving use of independent judgment, accuracy, speed, and confidentiality
- Proficiently operate and maintain office equipment
- Perform work without continuous supervision and coordinate the work of others
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times
- Ability to work in a team and meet performance deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills required to interact with all organizational levels; demonstrated ability to work appropriately with confidential information
- Demonstrates the ability to utilizes independent judgment, assess priorities, and operate in a flexible manner in order to meet the dynamic needs of the department
- Demonstrates excellent organizational, analytical and time management skills
- Demonstrates proficiency with software applications including, but not limited to: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Project and Visio
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with UMass Chan Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMass Chan Medical School Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMass Chan Medical School by following us on Twitter.
UMass Chan Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMass Chan positions that collectively contribute to UMass Chan Medical School success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research