- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Molecular Medicine - W400900
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 40
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 2
Post Date: April 18, 2022
General Summary of the Position:
Our laboratory is seeking an energetic and highly motivated individual interested in a full-time salaried position as a Research Associate, conducting research in the areas of sensory biology and neuroscience. The Zhang lab is interested in the interplay between sensory biology and internal physiology. We are currently studying the mammalian taste pathway to understand how the nervous system integrates external and internal information to drive behavior and maintain homeostasis. The research associate will learn state-of-the-art multidisciplinary techniques, including single-cell RNA sequencing, CRISPR-based animal engineering, viral targeting, calcium imaging, optogenetics, and animal behavior. Prior experience in neuroscience techniques in the mouse model is preferred. Knowledge in programming and data analysis languages is preferred. The ideal candidate will actively seek to understand the science behind the experiments and work well both independently and in a team. The research associate will receive mentorship from and work closely with the PI,Dr. Jin Zhang.
- Conducts in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Performs complex laboratory experiments
- Interprets data, forms conclusion, and decides on and plans next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Compiles and analyzes data and performs computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- Assists in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Reviews literature
- Trains new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment
- Complies with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise Lab Technicians and Aides
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
- Mice brain steorotaxic injection
- Animal (mice) surgery
- Animal (mice) behavioral analysis
- Calcium imaging
- Single cell sequencing
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with UMass Chan Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMass Chan Medical School Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMass Chan Medical School by following us on Twitter.
UMass Chan Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMass Chan positions that collectively contribute to UMass Chan Medical School success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research