- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - RNA Therapeutics Institute - W405400
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 47
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Sept. 3, 2021
The RNA Therapeutics Institute (RTI) at UMass Medical School (UMMS) seeks a person for the position of the Director of Public Engagement with Science. Under the general direction of the Chair, Program Director or designee, the Director of Public Engagement with Science will serve as an important representative of the RTI and UMMS in the community, developing and implementing STEM curricula and activities for students in the Worcester Public School (WPS) District. The Director of Public Engagement with Science is responsible for collaborating with faculty, trainees, teachers, and other partners to develop STEM programming and obtain funding to support these efforts.
- Effectively communicate complicated science topics to various groups, ages, and organizations
- Lead the development and implementation of engaging curriculum and activities for students in the Worcester Public School (WPS) District by:
- generating interactive content that aligns with the WPS frameworks and Next Generation Science Standards
- organizing and training UMMS faculty, students, postdocs, and interns (trainees) in the development and presentation of these materials
- preparing materials and instructions for WPS teachers to complete extension activities and experiments with students
- offering direct STEM programming to elementary and/or middle grade WPS students
- Work collaboratively with RTI and UMMS faculty, trainees, and other partners to develop new modules, programs, and materials for disseminating best practices in STEM outreach education as well as sustainably expand the ScienceLIVE program, coinciding with the UMMS mission to lead and innovate in education, research, and public service.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Medical School, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and the Graduate School of Nursing, faculty, staff, WPS school system, and identify non-profit partners in the surrounding Worcester area
- Identify and execute applications for funding opportunities to support the ScienceLIVE program
- Present a vision and work to develop a strategy for confronting issues of equity in STEM education within WPS
- The qualified candidate must have earned a Master's degree in a relevant basic science field and at least 5-10 years teaching and/or outreach experience
- Experience in using computer-based tools and relevant software (PC/Mac; Microsoft Office, Adobe applications, webpage design tools, etc.)
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to elicit and leverage creative thinking and implement novel solutions
- Ability to work effectively in a highly-collaborative environment and interact with faculty and staff at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with diverse populations
- Experience with grant applications, scientific communications, and publications
- Excellent organization, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.
- Perform other job duties as required.
- PhD degree in a Biological Science field is preferred.
- Experience with STEM professional development for teachers at elementary and/or middle school grade levels
- Knowledge of and experience with equity-promoting pedagogies
HR Daily Blog
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with University of Massachusetts Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMMS Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMMS by following us on Twitter.
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research