- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non Exempt
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Animal Medicine - W407200
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 12
Union Code: Union Position-W28-SHARE
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Sept. 5, 2021
Under the supervision of the Animal Facility Supervisor or Designee, the Animal Care Technician performs a variety of duties related to the care of laboratory animals. Primary responsibilities are to maintain a clean and healthy environment for laboratory animals and observe animals for their general health and well- being. The position is considered essential, and as such requires weekend, holiday and off hour’s coverage as needed.
- Observe animal health and behavior, record and report atypical findings of the environment or physical plant. These observations include but are not limited to sick animals, maintenance problems, safety hazards, and reporting animal welfare concerns
- Perform animal husbandry duties; e.g., feeding, watering, cage/pen cleaning of all laboratory species
- Handle, restrain, and sex laboratory animals
- Maintain animal room records; e.g., census, sanitation, enrichment, feeding, and animal identification
- Prepare and distribute routine medications as directed; e.g., medicated drinking water or feed
- Perform routine maintenance and sanitization of rooms and associated equipment within the vivarium
- Operate commonly used equipment including machines used for washing and sterilizing items
- Maintain validation records of equipment and room maintenance records of assigned areas
- Keep assigned work areas stocked with supplies needed for routine operation of the area
- Collect and dispose of waste
- Record accurate documentation necessary for regulatory compliance
- Ensure compliance with all UMMS policies and local, state and federal laws governing the use of research animals
- Performs other duties as requred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 0-1 year of related experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Basic computer skills e.g. familiar with Microsoft office and related hardware
- Bending, stooping, and lifting (Must be able to lift 60 lbs.)
- Use of PPE is required: scrubs, disposable gown, exam gloves, shoe covers, head/beard cover, surgical/N95 mask. Showering may be required. Exposure to animal allergens, anesthetic gases, biohazards, radiation, MRI, and sharps
- Shower may be required..
HR Daily Blog
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with University of Massachusetts Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMMS Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMMS by following us on Twitter.
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research