- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Molecular Medicine - W400900
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 46
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: May 26, 2021
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Principle Investigator, the Senior Research Scientist performs a variety of complex research experiments laboratory research on topics pertinent to the interests of the research programs of the laboratory.
- Design and implement experiments designed to further ongoing research projects, in consultation with the principal investigator.
- Organize and analyze data acquired in the course of research projects.
- Write manuscripts and grant applications
- Design and implement research projects in the laboratory
- Responsible for data acquisition, data analysis, and presentation of research results.
- Train and supervise junior lab personnel, ensuring staff is trained in current methodology and safety procedures in the laboratory.
- Prepare and present data for publication in public forums.
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications and other research proposals.
- Provide assistance in the general operation of the laboratory.
- Participate regularly in laboratory meetings.
- Stay current with the literature and regularly leads discussions of new reports pertinent to ongoing and proposed projects
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Biological Science, or equivalent degree
- 7 years of research experience.
- Familiarity with general laboratory procedures.
- Expertise in specific procedures and instrumentation necessary to complete specific research programs.
- Current knowledge of pertinent literature.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
Under the general direction of the Principle Investigator
Supervises and trains new laboratory personnel and junior members of the laboratory
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
- Interested in a stable position within an interactive and enthusiastic research environment.
- Holding a Masters, PhD, and/or Instructor or similar position in a related field of study/research.
- Works well as part of a team.
- Maintains high level of motivation and passion for research.
- Interest in mechanisms of Type 2 Diabetes and Cancer.
- Comfortable with/working in multi-disciplinary approaches including cell & molecular biology, biochemistry, imaging, genetics, cell culture, animal models.
- Interest in nutrient sensing, signal transduction, metabolism, especially metabolomics and isotope tracing, to understand cell and organ metabolism and organ-to-organ/tumor communication mechanisms.
- Interest in studying metabolic hubs such as brown fat, white fat, liver, and brain.
- Be willing and available to train on new instrumentation as necessary, which may include off-site training.
- Participate in writing manuscripts and grant applications.
- Capable of managing a small research team.
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with UMass Chan Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMass Chan Medical School Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMass Chan Medical School by following us on Twitter.
UMass Chan Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMass Chan positions that collectively contribute to UMass Chan Medical School success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research