- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Biochemistry & Molecular Pharm - W404000
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 44
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Aug. 16, 2021
A Research Associate position is available at the Mass Spectrometry Facility at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate II performs a variety of complex research experiments and is responsible for overseeing laboratory operations within the Department.
Affiliated with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, the Facility supports projects in basic and translational science across a diverse range of applications in proteomics, structural biology, metabolomics, small molecule quantitation, and mass spectrometry imaging. There are nine mass spectrometry platforms including four Orbitraps (Thermo Fusion Lumos w/ ETD and FAIMS, Q Exactive HF-X, Q Exactive and Orbitrap Velos Pro), a Q-TOF (Waters Synapt G2-Si) and two triple quadrupoles (Waters Xevo TQ-XS and Thermo TSQ Quantiva), all located in a spacious 5,000 sq. ft facility. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to contribute to a wide and diverse range of projects utilizing quantitative proteomics AND/OR targeted/untargeted metabolomics approaches to solve important biological problems in basic and translational science.
When submitting your resume, please include a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, your experience with proteomics or metabolomics and how the specifics of the opportunity fit with your career goals.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments and conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- The successful candidate will specialize and be responsible for aspects of method development, sample preparation, chromatography, data acquisition, data analysis and data interpretation using a diverse variety of mass spectrometry and software platforms.
- Responsibilities also include providing client/collaborator project support, effectively communicating project progress, writing technical summaries, participating in all aspects of publication and grant writing.
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Report the status of projects and observations to the Department Chair
- Ensure departmental computer resources remain functional and provide on-site support to Investigators as requested
- Design and execute protocols and experiments, modify protocols as needed, and may be responsible for own research project
- Manage laboratory research staff
- Responsible for overall laboratory organization including oversight of safety protocols and the maintenance of related records
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Long-range planning for laboratory and departmental equipment maintenance and replacement. Assist in procurement of departmental equipment. Responsible for physical inventory of all equipment, and maintaining records of all equipment acquired, moved off-site, or discarded
- Oversee and coordinate the use of centralized departmental facilities
- Work with Facilities Engineering, Environmental Health and Safety, and Radiation Safety to ensure department facilities and laboratories are in compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Oversee and assist in the training of new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences or equivalent, with 5 years of relevant research experience
- Candidates with a PhD preferred. Masters with 3 years of research experience will also be considered.
- The successful candidate must be highly motivated, have outstanding organizational skills, and be interested in expanding their background while working in a fast-paced interdisciplinary analytical laboratory.
- A proven track record in publication and outstanding communication skills are essential for this position.
- Expertise with either proteomics or metabolomics workflows is a must and proficiency in bioinformatics workflows is desired.
- Programming experience is considered a plus.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills are required along with a demonstrated ability to handle various projects simultaneously through multi-tasking and prioritization.
- Must be able to work in a team-oriented environment, demonstrate attention to detail and keep accurate laboratory records.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner.
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
HR Daily Blog
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with University of Massachusetts Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMMS Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMMS by following us on Twitter.
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research