- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Biochemistry & Molecular Pharm - W404000
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 46
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Aug. 16, 2021
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Principle Investigator, the Senior Research Scientist performs a variety of complex research experiments on topics pertinent to the interests of the research programs of the laboratory.
A Senior Research Scientist position focusing on quantitative proteomics is available at the Mass Spectrometry Facility at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Affiliated with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, the Facility supports projects in basic and translational science across a diverse range of applications in proteomics, structural biology, metabolomics, small molecule quantitation, and mass spectrometry imaging. There are nine mass spectrometry platforms including four Orbitraps (Thermo Fusion Lumos w/ ETD and FAIMS, Q Exactive HF-X, Q Exactive and Orbitrap Velos Pro), a Q-TOF (Waters Synapt G2-Si) and two triple quadrupoles (Waters Xevo TQ-XS and Thermo TSQ Quantiva), all located in a spacious 5,000 sq. ft facility.
This is a unique growth opportunity for an enthusiastic self-starter that will contribute to a wide and diverse range of projects both within the University of Massachusetts and to the external scientific community at large.
When submitting your resume, please include a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, your experience with proteomics or metabolomics and how the specifics of the opportunity fit with your career goals.
- Design and implement experiments designed to further ongoing research projects, in consultation with the principal investigator.
- The individual will be responsible for aspects of project planning, method development, sample preparation, data acquisition and bioinformatics.
- Responsibilities also include providing client/collaborator project support, consulting and teaching practical interpretation of proteomic datasets, effectively communicating project progress, writing technical summaries, preparing presentations, and participating in publication and grant writing.
- The individual will be expected to evaluate and optimize new proteomics technologies including those relevant to sample preparation, chromatography, data acquisition and software/data analysis.
- Organize and analyze data acquired in the course of research projects.
- Write manuscripts and grant applications
- Design and implement research projects in the laboratory
- Responsible for data acquisition, data analysis, and presentation of research results.
- Train and supervise junior lab personnel, ensuring staff is trained in current methodology and safety procedures in the laboratory.
- Prepare and present data for publication in public forums.
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications and other research proposals.
- Provide assistance in the general operation of the laboratory.
- Participate regularly in laboratory meetings.
- Stay current with the literature and regularly leads discussions of new reports pertinent to ongoing and proposed projects
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a Biological Science, or equivalent degree with 7 years of research experience.
- Candidates with a PhD (Chemistry, Biochemistry or related discipline) are preferred. Masters with 5+ years of experience will also be considered.
- The successful candidate will have significant background in proteomics and can demonstrate a clear record of publication.
- Proficiency in bioinformatics approaches including protein quantification, statistical analyses, and pathway analysis is required.
- Programming experience would be considered a plus.
- Direct experience with data-independent acquisition datasets is highly desired.
- The successful candidate must be highly motivated, interested in expanding their background while working in an interdisciplinary collaborative environment, and willing to work with a highly diverse clientele.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills are essential.
- The Mass Spectrometry Facility is a team-oriented environment and individuals must be able to handle various projects simultaneously through multi-tasking and prioritization.
- Familiarity with general laboratory procedures.
- Expertise in specific procedures and instrumentation necessary to complete specific research programs.
- Current knowledge of pertinent literature.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
HR Daily Blog
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with University of Massachusetts Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMMS Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMMS by following us on Twitter.
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research