- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Neurology - W832500
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 42
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Nov. 19, 2020
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate I performs a variety of complex research experiments.
The Landers Lab (https://www.umassmed.edu/landerslab/) has an ongoing project investigating the common mechanisms involved in ALS neurodegeneration to identify universal therapeutic targets capable of blocking the disease progression of all forms of ALS. We are seeking an experienced Research Associate to test the in vivo efficacy of a potential therapeutic target using mouse models of ALS. Techniques utilized include transgenic mice behavioral studies, cell culture, fluorescent imaging, and other molecular, cellular and biochemical approaches. Successful candidates will have the ability to work independently and coordinate multiple activities concurrently with a high attention to detail. Candidates should be highly organized, hard-working and have strong writing, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments
- Conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Compile and analyze data. Perform computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 3 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
HR Daily Blog
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with University of Massachusetts Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMMS Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMMS by following us on Twitter.
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research