- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Maintenance and Facilities
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Power Plant-Operations - W843010
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 47
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Aug. 20, 2020
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Associate Director of Sustainability & Campus Services or designee, the Energy and Sustainability Engineer is responsible for managing the UMass Medical School energy and sustainability program. The Energy and Sustainability Engineer will play a key role in advising the University on how to create and implement strategies to reduce energy and carbon emissions in its operations and capital programs to meet voluntary and mandatory goals established through institutional commitments. The position will include policy development, project identification and implementation, public relations, employee and contractor education, and data development and analysis. The UMass Medical School energy and sustainability programs aligns with the UMass Board of Trustees Policy focusing on strategic planning, greenhouse gas reduction and clean energy, green building and operations, water conservation and efficiency, sustainable purchasing, and sustainable food systems.
- Manage the development, analysis and implementation of energy efficiency and greenhouse gas reduction projects
- Ensure green building certification (LEED, Zero Net Energy, Green Globes etc.) for new construction and major renovations
- Participate in Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act Office (MEPA) review and approval process for new construction and master planning to support sustainable campus growth
- Secure funding through grants and utility incentives
- Report on energy and sustainability initiatives and metrics to voluntary and mandatory programs
- Develop and present energy program performance reports, monthly energy statistics and energy budgets
- Support utility invoicing and implementation of campus utility metering initiatives
- Implement community energy and sustainability awareness campaigns and training of facilities teams on efficient operating practices
- Develop and implement climate action and sustainability plan to achieve state mandates in energy conservation, renewable energy solutions, carbon footprint reductions, recycling efforts and other initiatives as stipulated in the state’s Massachusetts Executive Order 484 - Leading by Example Program, and Board of Trustees Sustainability Policy
- Develop and manage the UMass Medical School sustainability initiatives
- Advise and mentor students pursuing sustainability related capstone projects
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental sciences, public policy, energy or equivalent experience
- 3 years’ experience in the energy, environmental sustainability, facilities engineering field or related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical and mechanical building operation; construction and maintenance materials, practices, equipment and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to administer and oversee contracts and manage vendors to execute energy projects
- Experience optimizing building energy systems through utilization of EMS systems, energy audits and data analysis.
- Experience in grant writing and proven success in obtaining grants for energy programs
- Knowledge of renewable energy technologies
- Must possess highly developed interpersonal, analytical, leadership and oral and writing communication skills.
- Certification as an Energy Professional (CEP), Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or LEED AP designation, or the ability to receive within 6 months of hiring.
- Strong organizational and computer skills are required.
- Knowledge of building codes and environmental/ safety regulations.
- Normal manual dexterity, visual acuity
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- May work in all Medical Center Facilities and is subject to possible exposure to chemicals, gases, electrical shock;
- May work in confined spaces, on ladders.
HR Daily Blog
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with University of Massachusetts Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMMS Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMMS by following us on Twitter.
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research