- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non Exempt
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Environmental Hlth & Safety - W800800
Union Code: Non Union Position-W00-Non Benefited
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: March 2, 2020
Complete the online application and include a short essay either in the "resume" field (the resume and essay should be uploaded as one document) or uploaded as a cover letter on your profile. Essay topic is listed below (Please include within your essay, examples from personal experience, observation, research, and or scholarship. The essay should be succinct and be your original work. It should also reflect an excellent command of English grammar, style and syntax. Maximum length 200 words.):
Please write a short essay demonstrating your diversity competencies through life experiences and state why you would like to enroll in the program.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Manager or designee, the EH&S Technician is responsible for helping to implement and maintain environmental health and safety programs for the UMass Medical School (UMMS) and UMass Memorial Medical Center (UMMMC), which applies to its patients, students, employees, contractors, visitors, and the environment; and, to assist with keeping UMMS and UMMMC in compliance with applicable government and accreditation occupational and environmental safety standards, regulations, requirements and guidelines
This is a 10-week internship and the pay is $15/hour. The position is expected to be full-time over those 10 weeks.
- Conduct worksite risk assessments, evaluations, inspections, audits, investigations, or surveillance surveys for compliance programs. May help with creating or preparing checklists for the compliance inspections. Help with identifying potential risks and with recommending appropriate solutions
- Perform data entry into EH&S databases. Assist with reviewing and analyzing data for trends, deficiencies, quality control, and with seeking solutions to correct identified issues
- Help maintain records and documentation, including training records, waste manifests, SDS, safety equipment certifications, and other regulatory compliance documents
- Help with providing training and technical guidance or advice, to personnel, faculty and students on various EH&S compliance programs
- Assist with responding to urgent and emergency calls, questions and requests, following all regulations and procedures.
- Participate in the EH&S’ Emergency Response Team
- Maintain, test and calibrate equipment, inventory, and supplies used for compliance management, may include performing chemical fume hood testing, emergency shower and eye wash testing, and performing respiratory fit testing
- Write technical safety reports, assessment reports, hazard surveillance reports, lab inspection reports, and incident review reports
- Assist with reviewing and updating of policies, procedures, and safety manuals
- Interact with members of the Hospital and School community
- Perform other duties as required.
- Candidates pursuing bachelor’s degree or recent graduates
- Related experience preferred
- Must be reliable and able to set consistent work hours
- Ability to use standard office tools and software (MS-Office)
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Environmental Science, Natural Sciences, Fire Safety, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Health and Safety, Emergency Management, Radiation safety, Health Physics, or a related degree dependent upon discipline applying for.
- Basic knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to selected disciplines within Env. Health & Safety, such as; EPA, DOT, OSHA, NIH, CDC, NIOSH, MADPH, MADEP, MADPH, NRC, NFPA, FEMA, MEMA.
- Some skill with Microsoft Office software and database applications
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and the ability to travel to off-site locations
- To be able to become certified as OSHA 40 hour Emergency Responder is required
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to satisfactorily manage and report status of assignments, tasks, responsibilities, and multiple elements of complex programs.
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research