- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Library - W417400
Salary Grade: 45
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Dec. 5, 2019
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Manager of the Research and Scholarly Communication Services department or designee, the Research Data and Scholarly Communication librarian plays a central role in implementing scholarly communication programs at UMMS, including appropriate library-based research data support services. The position contributes to the library’s efforts to provide practical and valuable services in support of the research enterprise on campus. The position collaborates with faculty, graduate students, academic units, research center personnel, and colleagues to provide customized library services for scholarly communication and research.
- Build partnerships with research departments and user communities, working with them as a conduit for their research and scholarly communication needs, both user- and library-initiated. Services will include NIH-Public Access Policy support and troubleshooting; promoting awareness of the role of Open Access in digital scholarship; providing support for scholarly publishing, author rights, and fair use; and promoting new metrics for research evaluation
- Assists researchers and staff with meeting funder (including federal agencies) and university requirements for providing public access to research results, including data.
- Collaborates on promoting awareness of the changing landscape of scholarly communication to faculty, students and researchers through outreach and instruction
- Participates in initiatives and projects of the Research and Scholarly Communication Services Department
- Serves as an active member of library teams, task forces and committees
- Participates in and represents the Lamar Soutter Library in local, state, and national professional activities
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Takes a leading role in efforts to enhance and data literacy/management awareness and skills among faculty, researchers, and students in collaboration with other research support entities on campus
- Builds and maintains professional relationships with researchers, clinicians, and graduate students in order to increase understanding of the information needs of the research community.
- Consults content owners on research and metadata strategies across various aspects of the data life cycle, including introducing them to best practices, selection of appropriate metadata standards and schemas, and advising on tools and workflows for metadata creation, cleanup, and visualization.
- Analyzes current practices for UMMS researchers' management of data in order to develop tools, services and instruction to address assessed needs in collaboration with institutional partners.
- Translates scientific knowledge into promotion of bioinformatics tools, specialized databases, and ontologies to the sciences communities.
- Contributes to institutional knowledge of and support for funder mandates regarding research products
- Supports the collection and dissemination of digital scholarship, including research data, through the institutional repository
- Collaborates with others in the Library to develop and promote robust and cohesive research data services; helps train library staff to handle basic research data management inquiries
- Perform other duties as required.
- Serve as a leader and/or active member of library teams, task forces and committees
- Represents the library on university committees, task forces, and working groups
- Participate in and represent the Library in local, regional, and national professional activities
- Perform other duties as required.
- Master of Science in Library Science
- 2-3 years of combined library, information technology, informatics, and/or biomedical and health sciences research experience
- Practical understanding of library roles in research data management, with demonstrated experience in the research data life cycle
- Demonstrated communication experience in networking and outreach efforts; along with listening, negotiation, diplomacy, collaboration, professional writing, planning, management, and implementation skills
- Ability to work in an environment of teamwork and cooperation; excellent interpersonal skills; and the ability to communicate clearly and knowledgeably, orally and in writing.
- Capacity to thrive in an exciting, evolving future-oriented environment, and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships and interact with a variety of library patrons.
- Ability to organize work, develop effective work processes, assess work priorities, and work independently.
- Familiarity with emerging scholarly communication tools and trends
- Knowledge of the research and education processes in a university setting.
- Experience in curriculum development and instruction / delivery
- Basic knowledge of copyright law and its application in digital scholarship
- Experience working with structured data, such as RDMS, XML, and/or data management workflows
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research