- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Information Technology
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Prev/Behav Med - W710070
Salary Grade: 75
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Oct. 28, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Our lab is a research unit within the Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA. We are a team of passionate and talented biomedical, clinical and public health data scientists with diverse background, expertise and experiences. Our work has been well-published in research on healthy aging, community influences on health and health behaviors, physical activity, nutrition, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases and vaccine development, musculoskeletal health, physical therapy, health services, prevention of substance misuse and abuse, patient-physician communication, and evaluation of public health programs, policies and laws. Our work has informed public health practice and policy decisions at both the state and local levels. Our lab has grown its roots into local communities and established multiple academic-government-community and academic-industry partnerships. Besides conducting our own federally funded clinical and population health studies, we provide biostatistical, GIS and informatics support to EMR/NLP-based surveillance systems, HIV vaccine development, diabetes and TB control in high risk populations, prospective cohort studies, randomized clinical trials and public health program evaluation. Our lab currently has 3 faculty and 11 FTE professional staff. The lab is growing, and has multiple faculty and staff positions open. We welcome you to join us to improve the health of our population.
Under the general direction of the department head or designee, the Senior Biostatistician will oversee the planning, design, review, programming and implementation of special information systems activities.
- Develop plan, and write statistical design, methods, and analysis for research proposals. Oversee quantitative evaluation of the resulting data.
- Collaborate independently or as co-investigator with other biomedical investigators and assists in developing objectives, designing sampling and randomization schemes, and data collection procedures to achieve study objectives
- Analyze data in collaboration with statistical faculty beginning with univariate and multivariate analyses such as logistic regression and factor analysis for research studies.
- Assume leadership responsibilities on assigned project teams, committees, working groups, and research project teams including directing and/or supervising project personnel, coordinating quality control efforts, and serving on writing teams
- Participate the teaching of statistics topics within graduate programs
- Serve as a scientific consultant and instructor to the Medical School in the areas of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
- Instruct and supervise other personnel (data entry clerks, research assistants) in data management including merging and updating existing databases.
- Design statistical analysis and report generation procedures for specific research studies, and write statistical methods and results sections of reports and publications
- Prepare scientific manuscripts and abstracts including primary authorship of research papers
- Collaborate independently with biomedical researchers in designing and implementing studies, analyzing data, and publishing results from research projects
- Interpret and present study results in collaboration with faculty members, epidemiologists, biostatisticians, and project team members.
- Provide oral presentations at professional/scientific meetings, workshops, and seminar series
- Provide tabular and written summaries of analyses in a form suitable for inclusion in project deliverables as well as media for presentation at project meetings.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other biostatistics and information technology professionals.
- Responsible For content expertise and writing selected sections of project final reports; participates in the editing of reports; responsible for the execution and production of presentation-ready final project deliverables.
- Participate in the oral presentation of all project findings and abstracts including participation in periodic project status meetings and presentation of final project deliverables.
- Master's degree in Biostatistics, Statistics, Epidemiology, or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years health-related research experience (preferably in biostatistics or epidemilogy,) participating in project management and/or relevant experience in research and evaluation projects. This experience may be concurrent with satisfying degree requirements, but must include scientific research data analysis and database management.
- Knowledge of PC database construction, especially MS Access Database Programming.
- Working knowledge of current statistical packages ex. SAS, STATA, R etc.
- Strong communication skills, both the oral and written necessary to interact with state and national counterparts, internal and external senior management, project team members and study participants.
- Demonstrated ability to direct projects.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
- 10 or more years of health-related research experience (preferably in biostatistics, epidemiology or health data science) participating in project management and/or relevant experience in research and evaluation projects. This experience may be concurrent with satisfying degree requirements, but must include scientific research data analysis and database management.
- Excellent working knowledge of and programming skills in desktop and enterprise versions of SAS and Enterprise SAS SQL;
- Significant working experience in BIG health data including Insurance Claims Databases, national health survey data, and/or electronic medical records.
- Excellent experience in assisting scientific investigators or government officials with preparation of peer-reviewed publications or public reports, evidenced by applicant co-authored publications or public reports.
- Working knowledge of and significant programming skills in other statistical packages (e.g., Stata, R).
- Excellent experience in provision of content, database and statistical consultations to investigators, medical students, staff or government officials.
- Demonstrated ability to direct projects, and mentor junior staff.
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research