- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Information Technology
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Prev/Behav Med - W710070
Salary Grade: 73
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Oct. 20, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Our lab is a research unit within the Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA. We are a team of passionate and talented biomedical, clinical and public health data scientists with diverse background, expertise and experiences. Our work has been well-published in research on healthy aging, community influences on health and health behaviors, physical activity, nutrition, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases and vaccine development, musculoskeletal health, physical therapy, health services, prevention of substance misuse and abuse, patient-physician communication, and evaluation of public health programs, policies and laws. Our work has informed public health practice and policy decisions at both the state and local levels. Our lab has grown its roots into local communities and established multiple academic-government-community and academic-industry partnerships. Besides conducting our own federally funded clinical and population health studies, we provide biostatistical, GIS and informatics support to EMR/NLP-based surveillance systems, HIV vaccine development, diabetes and TB control in high risk populations, prospective cohort studies, randomized clinical trials and public health program evaluation. Our lab currently has 3 faculty and 11 FTE professional staff. The lab is growing, and has multiple faculty and staff positions open. We welcome you to join us to improve the health of our population.
Under the general direction of the department head or designee, the Biostatistician II will assist in the planning, design, review, programming and implementation of special information systems activities.
- Assist in the design and maintain databases for storage and retrieval of research data. Write computer programs to combine data from separate computer files to allow comparison of data from different sources.
- Evaluate and implement, quantitative and qualitative (experimental and non-experimental), research designs in standard APA format.
- Collaborate with program staff on the design and analysis of biostatistics aspects of research protocols including developing objectives, design sampling, randomization, and data collection procedures.
- Support the creation of SAS/SPSS applications in support of research projects.
- Create project statements
- Participate in the design of questionnaires and interview forms.
- Analyze data in collaboration with senior statisticians beginning with univariate and multivariate analyses such as logistic regression and factor analysis for research studies.
- Assume primary responsibility for the analysis and written presentation of project data at all stages, from collection to final presentation, for consistency and quality
- Provide tabular and written summaries of analyses in a form suitable for inclusion in project deliverables as well as media for presentation at project meetings.
- Collect the interpretation and assist in the creation of study results in collaboration with faculty members, epidemiologists, biostatisticians, and project team members.
- Prepare non-standard correspondence and minutes that require public scrutiny.
- Support the interpretation and assist in the creation of study results in collaboration with faculty members, epidemiologists, biostatisticians, and project team members.
- Responsible For content expertise and writing selected sections of project final reports; participates in the editing of reports; responsible for the execution and production of presentation-ready final project deliverables.
- Master's degree in Biostatistics, Statistics, Epidemiology, or equivalent experience
- 0-1 year health-related research experience (preferably in biostatistics or epidemiology) participating in project management and/or relevant experience in research and evaluation projects. This experience may be concurrent with satisfying degree requirements, but must include scientific research data analysis and database management.
- Knowledge of PC database construction, especially MS Access Database Programming.
- Working knowledge of SAS, SPSS statistical packages.
- Strong communication skills, both the oral and written necessary to interact with state and national counterparts, internal and external senior management, project team members and study participants.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations.
- Master's degree in Health Data Science
- 0-1 year health-related experience (preferably in health data science)
- Knowledge of web-based data construction
- Knowledge of and working experience in Enterprise SAS SQL.
- Knowledge of BIG health data including Insurance Claims Databases, national health survey data and electronic medical records.
- Programming skills in SAS, Stata or R statistical packages
- Experience in assisting preparation of peer-reviewed publications or public reports
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research