- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Post Doc
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - RNA Therapeutics Institute - W405400
Salary Grade: 86
Union Code: Non Union Position-W63-Residents/Post Docs
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Oct. 28, 2018
The Pai lab at UMass Medical School is seeking a postdoctoral candidate in the field of RNA biology and functional genomics with relevant experience in experimental and/or computational biology. Our research combines high-dimensional computational analyses with state-of-the-art genetic, molecular, and cellular genomic techniques to probe the molecular mechanisms of RNA maturation (including transcription, splicing, and 3’ end processing). We specifically focus on characterizing the kinetics of RNA processing steps to understand the overall speed and efficiency at which RNA molecules are created and processed to ensure proper cellular functions.
Ideal applicants will have a strong background in RNA biology, functional genomics, systems biology, or computational biology/bioinformatics. We desire a candidate with both experimental and computational skills, but encourage applications from scientists motivated to expand their skillset to include both approaches. Applicants must be self-motivated, creative, and able to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment.
- Develop and/or apply new molecular, biochemical, and/or computational approaches, perform data analyses, and supervise/train technicians or graduate students.
- Take a strong lead in project design and management for multiple research projects, generate and interpret data, and collaborate with other team members.
- Report results by regularly presenting at scientific conferences and writing scientific manuscripts.
- Tackle cutting-edge problems in biomedical science, interact with world class scientists, and gain experiences or develop skillsets for her/his next career stage.
- PhD in biological sciences (e.g. molecular or cellular biology, genetics, biochemistry), computational sciences (e.g. bioinformatics, computer sciences, statistics) or related discipline. Ph.D. candidates anticipating thesis defense are encouraged to apply for hire after completion of Ph.D.
- Relevant experimental and/or computational biology research experience, preferably with strong scientific knowledge in eukaryotic RNA biology, gene regulation, or genetics and genomics.
- Experience with high-throughput sequencing data generation or analysis, preferably for genome- or transcriptome-wide datasets (e.g. RNA-seq, nascent RNA seq, ChIP-seq, DNase-seq, CLIP-seq).
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux shell and at least one of the following programming languages: C++, PERL, Python, or R.Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Previous record of independent research, including conference presentations and first-/co-author publications.
- Excellent teamwork, time management, and organizational skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and multi-task across multiple research projects.
To apply, please email the following to Athma Pai at email@example.com:
- Curriculum vitae, including complete list of publications and pre-prints.
- Contact information for three referees
- Summary of your present research (1 page max)
- Outline of your future research interests (1 page max)
This position is in the RNA Therapeutics Institute at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, MA. To learn more about the Pai lab, please visit http://www.pai-lab.org.
The RNA Therapeutics Institute is an exceptional training environment, with many interactive and highly collaborative research groups uniting researchers studying fundamental RNA mechanisms with the active development of RNA-based therapeutic strategies. The department has strong intellectual and proximity-based links with neighboring groups in Bioinformatics and Integrative Biology (BIB) and the Program in Systems Biology (PSB) at UMass Medical School, creating a stimulating interdisciplinary research environment with world-class expertise in many disciplines relevant for our work.
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research