- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - RNA Therapeutics Institute - W405400
Salary Grade: 42
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Dec. 21, 2017
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
This position is to work in the Nucleic Acid Chemistry Core in the RNA Therapeutics Institute (RTI), an interdisciplinary, collaborative environment that offers oligonucleotide and peptide synthesis and purification services and assists researchers in the purification and identification of small molecules. Equipment used in the Nucleic Acid Chemistry Core includes a solid phase oligonucleotide synthesizer, solid phase peptide synthesizer, Agilent HPLC System, and HPLC-mass spectrometer.
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate I performs a variety of complex research experiments.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments
- Conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Compile and analyze data. Perform computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 3 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or equivalent experience
- Experience with water-free manipulations
- An understanding of synthetic organic chemistry
- Experience in the successful development of purification protocols and quantitative analyses of samples by HPLC (reverse phase, ion exchange, size exclusion)
- Experience in solid phase oligonucleotide synthesis purification and identification by LC-MS
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting complex instrumentation
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research