- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non Exempt
Business Unit: SCHOOL
Department: School - Environmental Hlth & Safety - W800800
Job Type: Intern (Full Time)
Salary Grade: ..
Union Code: Non Union Position-W00-Non Benefited
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: March 1, 2017
Complete the online application that includes uploading a resume and include a short essay in the "resume" field (the resume and essay should be uploaded as one document). Please respond to the essay question below:
- Please write a short essay demonstrating your diversity competencies through life experiences and state why you would like to enroll in the program (Please include examples from personal experience, observation, research, and or scholarship. The essay should be succinct and be your original work. It should also reflect an excellent command of English grammar, style and syntax. Maximum length 200 words.)
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Manager or designee, the EH&S Intern is responsible for helping to implement and maintain environmental health and safety programs for the UMass Medical School (UMMS) and UMass Memorial Medical Center (UMMMC); and, to assist with keeping UMMS and UMMMC in compliance with applicable government and accreditation occupational and environmental safety standards, regulations, requirements and guidelines.
- Help with identifying potential risks and with recommending appropriate solutions
- Perform data entry into EH&S Assist with reviewing and analyzing data for trends, deficiencies, quality control, and with seeking solutions to correct identified issues
- Help maintain records and documentation, including training records, waste manifests, SDS, safety equipment certifications, and other regulatory compliance documents
- Participate in the EH&S’ Emergency Response Team
- Maintain, test and calibrate equipment, inventory, and supplies used for compliance management, may include performing chemical fume hood testing, emergency shower and eye wash testing, and performing respiratory fit testing
- Write technical safety reports, assessment reports, hazard surveillance reports, lab inspection reports, and incident review reports
- Assist with reviewing and updating of policies, procedures, and safety manuals
- Interact with members of the Hospital and School community
- Perform other duties as required
- Candidates pursuing bachelor’s degree or recent graduates
- Related experience preferred
- Must be reliable and able to set consistent work hours
- Ability to use standard office tools and software (MS-Office)
- Pursuing degree in Safety, Environmental Sciences, Fire Safety, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Health and Safety, Emergency Management, Radiation Safety, Health Physics, or related degree.
- Basic knowledge of federal and state regulations pertaining to selected disciplines within Health & Safety, such as; EPA, DOT, OSHA, NIH, CDC, NIOSH, MADPH, MADEP, MADPH, NRC, NFPA, FEMA, MEMA.
- Some skill with Microsoft Office software and database applications
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and the ability to travel to off-site locations
- To be able to become certified as OSHA 40 hour Emergency Responder is required
- Good oral and written communication skills
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with UMass Chan Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMass Chan Medical School Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMass Chan Medical School by following us on Twitter.
UMass Chan Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMass Chan positions that collectively contribute to UMass Chan Medical School success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research