- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Chan Medical School
Department: School - Microbio & Physio System MaPS - W402400
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 44
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Jan. 24, 2024
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Scientific Writer is responsible for collaborating with all levels of faculty and researchers to develop, edit, and complete scientific communications (manuscripts, grants, web-sites, and presentations).
Founded more than 30 years ago, the Department of Microbiology and Physiological Systems at UMass Chan has evolved into a unique and integrated hub of investigators who address both fundamental questions in microbiology and how pathogens interact with multiple levels of biological organization. Investigators in the Department utilize multidisciplinary approaches that integrate genomic, proteomic, high-resolution imaging, molecular and computational methodologies to characterize networks of host-microbe, both pathogenic and commensal, interactions at the molecular, cellular, and organismal levels. With the goal to address critical biological questions relevant to a broad range of diseases and encompassing multiple levels of biological organization.
The Scientific Writer and Communication Specialist will assist in completing scientific documents, including grant-related documents needed for government, foundation, and donor-sponsored research, such as Research Strategies, Progress Reports and Letters of Support. He/she/they may assist in drafting and editing manuscripts, clinical protocols, and other clinical and scientific documents. The Scientific Writer will also contribute to department wide communications and will also be primarily responsible for responsible for the maintenance and strategic development of the departments social media presence and updating/maintaining department website content.
- Responsible for writing, drafting and submitting a variety of scientific materials for peer reviewed journals
- Collaborates with researchers in collecting and organizing data
- Prepares figures and illustrations for publications
- Serves as liaison between authors and publishers
- Develops power point and web-based presentation of data for lay audiences
- Edits and proofreads articles, book chapters, grants, abstracts, posters, oral and visual presentations for style and content
- Conducts review of medical literature and summarizes findings
- Designs and produces additional written scientific documents, including manuals of operating procedures, internal procedures, data dictionaries, etc
- Responsible for department webpage, including layout, content and format
- Perform other job duties as required.
- Bachelors degree in a scientific or health care field or equivalent experience
- 5 years of related experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of requirements for writing and reporting clinical trials and other clinical research formats
- Experience with grant application formats
- Experience in using computer-based tools (Microsoft Office, Adobe applications, webpage design tools etc)
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.
Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator or designee
Functional supervision of graduate students, residents, and fellows in preparation of abstracts, posters, and presentations for scientific meetings and other projects
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Usual office environment
Prior experience as a Medical Writer or Scientific Writer
Strong project management skills
Excellent proofreading skills and attention to detail
Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and process associated paperwork accurately
UMass Chan Medical School was among 23 companies that stood out as 2023 “DEI champions,” according to The Boston Globe.
“2023 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research