- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Molecular Medicine - W400900
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 46
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Jan. 14, 2022
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Principle Investigator, the Senior Research Scientist performs a variety of complex research experiments laboratory research on topics pertinent to the interests of the research programs of the laboratory.
The Senior Research Scientist develops complex research protocols and conducts laboratory research that advances our understanding of how human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) establishes and maintains persistence in immune cells over time.
- Design and implement experiments designed to further ongoing research projects, in consultation with the principal investigator.
- Organize and analyze data acquired in the course of research projects.
- Write manuscripts and grant applications
- Design and implement research projects in the laboratory
- Responsible for data acquisition, data analysis, and presentation of research results.
- Train and supervise junior lab personnel, ensuring staff is trained in current methodology and safety procedures in the laboratory.
- Prepare and present data for publication in public forums.
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications and other research proposals.
- Provide assistance in the general operation of the laboratory.
- Participate regularly in laboratory meetings.
- Stay current with the literature and regularly leads discussions of new reports pertinent to ongoing and proposed projects
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Biological Science, or equivalent degree
- 7 years of research experience.
- Familiarity with general laboratory procedures.
- Expertise in specific procedures and instrumentation necessary to complete specific research programs.
- Current knowledge of pertinent literature.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, virology or M.D. with equivalent experience.
- Creative and highly motivated to apply skills towards solving biological problems.
- Strong critical thinking skills and independent judgement.
- Expertise in molecular biology techniques, including gene sequencing and analyses.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with clarity and precision.
- Ability to travel to meetings and off-site locations, as required.
- Collegial and collaborative, works well as a member of an inter-disciplinary team.
- Meticulous record keeping, proficiency with databases, and computational skills.
- Under the general direction of the Principle Investigator
Supervises and trains new laboratory personnel and junior members of the laboratory
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
BSL2+ laboratory includes working with human specimens and potential toxins.
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with UMass Chan Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMass Chan Medical School Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMass Chan Medical School by following us on Twitter.
UMass Chan Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMass Chan positions that collectively contribute to UMass Chan Medical School success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research