- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Information Technology
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Dermatology - W710020
Salary Grade: 74
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Jan. 20, 2019
We are recruiting a Bioinformatician III to work within our growing research group in the Dermatology Department to analyze single cell RNA sequencing data as well as other next-generation sequencing data from the affected skin of patients with inflammatory skin diseases. The successful candidate would work in a specialized team of researchers to identify key pathways to pursue for further validation and functional experiments using both human tissue and mouse models of disease.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of a member of the faculty or designee, the Bioinformatician III is responsible for developing novel algorithms and scientific software applications as well as providing bioinformatics data analysis support for research projects.
- Design and implement reusable bioinformatics analysis pipelines for processing next-generation sequencing, microarray, genomics, proteomics and chemogenomics data
- Integrate computational methods/pipelines with high performance computing clusters
- Collaborate closely with PIs and their lab members on research projects including defining the scope of the collaboration, researching on the scientific topics and implementing the appropriate bioinformatics solutions that meet timelines
- Participates in the oral presentation of all project findings and abstracts including participation in periodic project status meetings and presentation of final project deliverables.
- Develop rapid prototypes and custom scripts for one-off type of analysis requests
- Develop novel algorithms and integrated data visualization applications when existing software packages are not available or adequate
- Properly document the procedures used in computational analysis and provide summary report of results suitable for inclusion in manuscript and grant applications
- Local establishment and customization of genomic, proteomics databases and provide batch analysis utilities that make use of these resources
- Develop custom databases and web portals for managing raw and processed experimental data
- Provide bioinformatics training and workshops for analysis pipelines and in-house developed software applications
- Coordinate and collaborate with other bioinformaticians, biostatisticians, information technology professionals, and interdepartmental project teams.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, a related computational discipline, or equivalent experience
- 2 years bioinformatics-related research experience
- Proven research record such as co-authorship on peer-reviewed publications required
- Strong background in programming. Fluent in one programming language (Java or C/C++) and one scripting language (shell, Perl or Python)
- Knowledge in biostatistics packages (R or Matlab) and SQL queries are strongly suggested
- Strong communication skills, both the oral and written necessary to interact with a wide range of individuals
- Experience in Immunology
- Strong background in Python
- Knowledge in biostatistics packages such as R
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research