- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Gene Therapy Center - W405200
Salary Grade: 44
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Jan. 11, 2019
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate II performs a variety of complex research experiments and is responsible for overseeing laboratory operations within the Department.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments and conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Report the status of projects and observations to the Department Chair
- Ensure departmental computer resources remain functional and provide on-site support to Investigators as requested
- Design and execute protocols and experiments, modify protocols as needed, and may be responsible for own research project
- Manage laboratory research staff
- Responsible for overall laboratory organization including oversight of safety protocols and the maintenance of related records
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Long-range planning for laboratory and departmental equipment maintenance and replacement. Assist in procurement of departmental equipment. Responsible for physical inventory of all equipment, and maintaining records of all equipment acquired, moved off-site, or discarded
- Oversee and coordinate the use of centralized departmental facilities
- Work with Facilities Engineering, Environmental Health and Safety, and Radiation Safety to ensure department facilities and laboratories are in compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Oversee and assist in the training of new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 5 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Dr. Christian Mueller laboratory is seeking a talented and self-motivated research associate to join our Gene Therapy team at UMMS, Worcester location. The position offers excellent opportunities for a highly motivated individual to develop and apply gene editing and gene therapy in an exciting and dynamic environment focused on cutting-edge technologies. The candidate must be passionate about performing research that aims to treat or cure human disease. A two-year commitment is required.
Functioning somewhat independently, incumbent assists with and conducts laboratory experiments on research projects within well-defined guidelines; collects, prepares, and analyzes specimens (or animal subjects); evaluates results of (or response to) process; summarizes data.
- Assist mouse colony management.
- Collect, prepare, analyze, dissect, and evaluate specimens and/or tissue cultures.
- Assist in making chemical analyses of body fluids and tissues; performs venipuncture and obtains blood specimens.
- Weigh and anesthetize laboratory animals for experiments and maintains records on such animals relative to feeding and physical condition.
- Operate laboratory equipment; contributes to laboratory maintenance.
- Perform statistical analysis of lab results and maintain notes and log or computer database; perform basic procedures for computer assisted data analysis.
- Assist in small animal surgery and pulmonary physiology.
- Further develop gene editing and gene therapy platform technologies
- Perform experiments in cell culture and in vivo using mouse models
- Analyze and report data
- Keep current on trends, new products and technologies in the gene therapy and gene editing fields
Experience and Skills:
- MS or equivalent in molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field and 3+ years of experience in the field.
- Experience with mouse colony (breeding, genotyping and performing procedures).
- Expertise with a range of molecular biology and cell biology techniques, such as PCR, qPCR, molecular cloning, mammalian cell culture and transfection, electroporation,
and DNA/RNA and protein preparation, DNA sequencing, NGS, Western blotting, fluorescence imaging; experience with ddPCR and cell culture are a plus.
- Preferred experience with flow cytometry and immuno-staining (IHC/IFC).
- Demonstrated expertise in gene editing and genome engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to be independent, self-motivated, as well as work in a highly collaborative setting.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and excellent documentation skills.
• Excellent critical thinking and analytic skills and great trouble-shooting ability are required
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
Supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research