- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Molecular Cell & Cancer Biology - W495000
Salary Grade: 42
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Dec. 19, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate I performs a variety of complex research experiments.
Laboratory uses CRISPR/Cas9 tools for the development of gene therapy reagents.
Additional Major Responsibilities:
- Participate in the construction and protein purification of Cas9 and Cpf1 nuclease variants with increased precision, and assays for their activity in mammalian cells.
- Maintain the laboratory database and frozen archive of plasmids and bacterial strains.
- Prepare competent bacterial cells for transformation and media reagents.
- Ordering standard supplies for the laboratory.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments
- Conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Compile and analyze data. Perform computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 3 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- FPLC-based protein purification experience -required
- Mammalian Cell culture experience
- Basic molecular biology techniques (PCR, Restriction Enzyme mediated cloning, Gel electrophoresis, Qiagen DNA miniprep)
- Bacteria Strain preparation and handling (competent cell preparation and agar plate preparation).
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research