- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non Exempt
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Psychiatry-State Contracts Child - W833020
Salary Grade: 20
Union Code: Non Union Position-W00-Non Benefited
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Dec. 17, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general supervision of the Program Director or designee, the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides nursing care and participates as a member of the mental health treatment team in an intensive adolescent treatment program. Perform nursing activities in accordance with licensures by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the policies and procedures of the patient care area. Assist with the delivery of direct care, including provision for safety and milieu activities. Take an active role in re-acclimating individuals to the larger community. Provide trauma informed care and promotes a person-centered, skills-based collaborative philosophy. The Licensed Practical Nurse participates in a process of continuous learning and demonstrates openness to evolving philosophies of practice, including restraint and seclusion prevention.
- Assist in the assessment, development, implementation and documentation of nursing care for patients
- Administer, coordinate, and record medications and vaccinations consistent with nursing protocol
- Execute physician orders for specific medications, test, treatments and other procedures
- Collect and record vital signs, height, and weight. Report any unusual deviations to the RN/MD/NP.
- Complete requisitions and makes appointments and referrals as necessary (lab, x-ray, EKG, etc.)
- Provide medication education to youth and families according to unit protocol. Prepare and educate individuals for routine medical procedures. Take an active role in preventive health teaching and patient and family education.
- Perform direct care such as dressing changes, administer enemas, ADL assistance, perform safety checks, monitor patients who are feeling unsafe and lead/co-lead therapeutic groups and activities
- Provide all aspects of nursing care planning to assigned patients in conjunction with the unit team.
- May act as a preceptor
- Recognize the need for and adapt nursing care interventions to the individual’s physical condition, emotional status, and developmental level
- Assist in medical procedures, emergencies, and in crises, which may include physical management
- Assist in the de-escalation of individuals in distress and contribute to overall unit safety
- Participate in the admission process, collect medical data, and obtain consent forms for vaccines, dental and other procedures as required
- Comply with all safety and emergency procedures
- Respect the rights and confidentiality of all patients and serves as a patient advocate
- Maintain stock of supplies and physical condition of medication/treatment rooms
- Assume responsibility for professional growth; remain current in nursing practice and program’s policies and procedures
- Assist in orientation of new employees
- Attend treatment team and staff meetings
- Participate in departmental quality improvement activities.
- Maintain overall clinical confidentiality, including all business documents and correspondence
- Perform other duties as required.
- Current license to practice as a licensed practical nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm when under stress or in emergency situations
- Demonstrated ability to interact with people who are under emotional stress.
- Ability to work with others collaboratively in a team setting.
- Must be able to assist with the physical management of individuals in crisis.
- Ability to perform basic computer skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations.
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research