- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Grad School Biomedical Science - W419000
Salary Grade: 47
Union Code: Non Union Position -W60- Non Unit Professional
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Dec. 8, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Dean for GSBS the Assistant Dean for GSBS Student Affairs & Enrollment will serve as a member of the GSBS senior leadership team. With a goal of becoming a top 25 school for graduate study in the Biomedical Sciences, the Assistant Dean will play a pivotal role in establishing and maintaining student support functions to ensure student success and maximum retention.
- Plan and coordinate the student and administrative affairs of a large department whose functions include; education, research and service
- Serve as a senior advisor to the Dean, and as a member of the GSBS leadership team.
- Collaborate with members of the GSBS to define and prioritize strategy and direction. Identify trends, appraise cause and effect, and evaluate and highlight opportunities to improve GSBS performance
- Serve as the primary liaison between the GSBS and other internal and external organizations.
- Represent GSBS on all institutional committees focused on student affairs and student support
- Provide confidential advising to GSBS students at all stages in the program
Student Services and Professional Advancement & Development
- Serve as Advisor to GSBS Student Groups
- Work with the Associate Deans to enhance academic retention programs
- Work with the Office of Institutional Research, Evaluation and Assessment to develop statistical information for GSBS in areas including, but not limited to, enrollment, student demographics, recruiting and long-term student and postgraduate outcomes
Training Grant and Fellowship Support and Reporting
- Develop resources and workshops to promote applications for extramural fellowship and training grants; develop and maintain data tables characterizing the GSBS student body, academic accomplishments and outcomes
- Provide resources for students and faculty pursuing extramural fellowship funds
- Prepare reports and provide data as requested on graduate student issues
- Providing primary support for coordination, submission and administration of training grant applications
- Work with the GSBS Dean and Associate Deans to develop methodologies that measure accomplishment
- Advising GSBS Faculty and Instructors on curricular standards and objectives
- Work with the GSBS Dean and staff to ensure that it provides support for recruitment, matriculation, registration, student tracking, student services, professional development, completion, alumni services and postdoctoral scholars and other GSBS essential groups
- Work with the GSBS Dean to develop and manage resources for extramural training fund competitiveness
- Represent the department at administrative meetings within and outside of the Medical School
- Train and provide ongoing education to staff and faculty to ensure awareness of, compliance with, and uniform implementation of program, university, state, and funding agency regulations, business process policies, procedures and systems
- Review and assure all departmental policies are current
- Adhere to University, State, and funding agency regulations
- Perform other duties as required.
- Doctoral degree required in biomedical sciences or a related field.
- 5 years related experience, 1-year supervisory experience or equivalent
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal and organization skills preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex projects, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing priorities and needs required
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research