- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Information Technology
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Prev/Behav Med - W710070
Salary Grade: 74
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: Oct. 28, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Our lab is a research unit within the Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA. We are a team of passionate and talented biomedical, clinical and public health data scientists with diverse background, expertise and experiences. Our work has been well-published in research on healthy aging, community influences on health and health behaviors, physical activity, nutrition, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases and vaccine development, musculoskeletal health, physical therapy, health services, prevention of substance misuse and abuse, patient-physician communication, and evaluation of public health programs, policies and laws. Our work has informed public health practice and policy decisions at both the state and local levels. Our lab has grown its roots into local communities and established multiple academic-government-community and academic-industry partnerships. Besides conducting our own federally funded clinical and population health studies, we provide biostatistical, GIS and informatics support to EMR/NLP-based surveillance systems, HIV vaccine development, diabetes and TB control in high risk populations, prospective cohort studies, randomized clinical trials and public health program evaluation. Our lab currently has 3 faculty and 11 FTE professional staff. The lab is growing, and has multiple faculty and staff positions open. We welcome you to join us to improve the health of our population.
Under the general direction of the department head or designee, the Biostatistician III is responsible for the planning, design, review, programming and implementation of special information systems activities.
- Perform the statistical analysis of data, create project statements, and evaluate and implement research designs including but not limited to quantitative and qualitative (experimental and non-experimental) in standard APA format.
- Instruct and supervise other personnel (data entry clerks, research assistants) in data management including merging
- and updating existing databases.
- Collaborate with project staff on the design and analysis of biostatistics aspects of research protocols.
- Design, develop, and maintain statistical analysis programs for research data. Create SAS/SPSS applications in support of research projects.
- Participate in the design of questionnaires and interview forms.Analyze data in collaboration with senior statisticians beginning with univariate and multivariate analyses such as logistic regression and factor analysis for research studies.
- Provide tabular and written summaries of analyses in a form suitable for inclusion in project deliverables as well as media for presentation at project meetings.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other biostatistics, information technology professionals, and interdepartmental project teams.
- Interpret and present study results in collaboration with faculty members, epidemiologists, biostatisticians, and project team members.
- Collect background data for studies from various database sources: summarize findings for presentation at project-related meetings.
- Prepares non-standard correspondence and minutes that require public scrutiny.
- Responsible for content expertise and writing selected sections of project final reports; participates in the editing of reports; responsible for the execution and production of presentation-ready final project deliverables.
- Participates in the oral presentation of all project findings and abstracts including participation in periodic project status meetings and presentation of final project deliverables.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Master's degree in Biostatistics, Statistics, Epidemiology, or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years health-related research experience (preferably in biostatistics or epidemiology) participating in project management and/or relevant experience in research and evaluation projects. Up to one year of this experience may be concurrent with satisfying degree requirements, but must include scientific research data analysis and database management.
- Working knowledge of SAS (in particular) and other statistical packages.
- Strong communication skills, both the oral and written necessary to interact with state and national counterparts, internal and external senior management, project team members and study participants.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
- Master's degree in Health Data Science
- 1-3 years health-related research experience preferably in health data science
- Knowledge of web based database construction
- Significant working experience in Enterprise SAS SQL.
- Significant working experience in BIG health data including Insurance Claims Databases, national health survey data, and electronic medical records.
- Strong programming skills in SAS, Stata or R statistical packages.
- Experience in working with government health agencies and government data.
- Experience in assisting investigators and government officials with preparation of peer-reviewed publications or public health reports.
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research