- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Worcester, MA
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non Exempt
Business Unit: UMass Med School
Department: School - Library - W417400
Union Code: Non Union Position-W00-Non Benefited
Num. Openings: 2
Post Date: Aug. 17, 2018
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Will work under the supervision of the Local Collections Coordinator to staff the Circulation/Reserve Desk, interact with library users to charge and discharge materials according to library policies and procedures and to provide basic informational services in the absence of reference staffing.
The per diem Library Assistant provides service at the Library’s public desk performing such functions as check-out and check-in of library materials and customer registration. The assistant will help library customers locate materials and use library equipment. The assistant may open or close the Library and will perform other related duties such as, maintaining online records in the circulation module, checking shelves for overdue items, sending overdue notices, processing holds and Interlibrary Loan requests. May assist with comparable tasks in other library departments.
This is a per diem position.
- Charge books, government documents, reserves, and audio-visual materials to approved borrowers; discharge same. Use online circulation system (CARL).
- Interview and verify borrow eligibility using a matrix of borrower categories and lists of eligible borrowers. Receive and process applications and annual fees, as indicated
- Interpret library policies and procedures to library users
- Authenticate password eligibility for Library Computer Area and for MEDlinesNet, the library’s computer network
- Interpret holdings and location information for users. Understand and apply knowledge of bibliographic records and series statements for books, journals, and government documents
- Provide total library security in absence of other library staff. Interface with Campus Security at library closing
- Answer phones and direct calls to appropriate library departments
- Assist in monitoring and training shelvers as needed. Sort and shelve materials and shelf read, as necessary
- Assist with processing and labeling of materials for shelf-readiness
- Accurately enter detail into library and university systems
- Perform other duties, as requested
- High School Diploma or GED required, Associates degree preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and work cooperatively
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong commitment to innovative and responsive public service
- Excellent attention to detail and ability for sorting, shelving, and filing of materials
- Ability to work varied schedules
HR Daily Blog
UMass Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMMS positions that collectively contribute to UMMS success.
“2019 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research