- Search Jobs
- Business Units
- Hiring Process
- Temp Services
and Advance with Us.
SEARCH CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Category: Information Technology
Location: Worcester, MA
Business Unit: SCHOOL
Department: School - Bioinformatics Core - W826060
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 73
Union Code: ..
Num. Openings: 1
Post Date: April 25, 2017
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of a member of the faculty, the Bioinformatician is responsible for the design, development, evaluation and iterative modification of a technical infrastructure to expedite the quantitative evaluation of data resulting from studies that are laboratory based. The position will entail the establishment and maintenance of applicable in-house bioinformatics resources and interaction with individual lab members on customized research projects, as well independent projects that are solely computational.
- Establish general bioinformatics resources for day-to-day use by members of the laboratory.
- In collaboration with a member of the faculty, generate customized programming solutions to improve user interaction with available bioinformatics resources
- Implement and adapt programs for microarray analysis, high-throughput sequencing data analysis, cis regulatory motif identification, and multi-genome protein motif searches.
- Independently develop, implement and maintain custom designed computational solutions relevant for ongoing lab-based projects.
- Independently develop, implement and maintain computational methods for meta-analysis of data generated in the lab as well as publicly available data.
- Independently execute a scientific computational project (e.g. a project that can result in a first author publication)
- Supervise entry level bioinformaticians.
- Local establishment and customization of model organism genomic databases and tools for batch sequence analysis utilizing these resources.
- Interpret and present study results in support of laboratory members.
- Provide tabular and written summaries of approaches and analyses in a form suitable for inclusion in manuscripts or grant applications, as well as media for presentation at scientific meetings
- Develop and implement custom bioinformatics programming solutions in collaboration with lab as necessary
- Coordinate and collaborate with other research computing expertise at the Medical School as necessary
- Participate in conference calls and data management meetings as needed
- Perform other duties as required
- BS in computer science, or equivalent experience
- 2 years of experience in relevant setting
- Co-authorships on peer-reviewed publications are strongly suggested but not required
- Strong background in statistical methodology, software languages and computer systems (Perl, C++, R, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience in writing basic search algorithms and the ability to generate new algorithms and programs for custom data manipulation and analysis
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a wide range of individuals.
Joining our Talent Community will allow you to stay connected with UMass Chan Medical School and receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests. Join now and receive relevant communications and updates from our organization. Click here and join the UMass Chan Medical School Talent Community Now
Receive the latest news about Careers at UMass Chan Medical School by following us on Twitter.
UMass Chan Medical School Core Competencies demonstrating the capabilities that are central across all UMass Chan positions that collectively contribute to UMass Chan Medical School success.
“2022 BEST MEDICAL GRAD SCHOOL”
for Primary Care and Research